The ultimate comfort soup made right in your slow cooker! You’ll love this easy recipe and incredible flavor of tender beef and vegetables with perfectly cooked barley.
I absolutely love my slow cooker! Even on days I don’t plan to leave the house I can prepare a delicious meal with minimal effort. Comforting recipes such as Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup or Italian Style Show Cooker Meatballs are great for a super simple but flavorful meal that the whole family will enjoy.
We’ve approached mid-February here in Ohio and the weather is still a bit chilly. Although the snow has melted, I still look forward to these soul warming meals. Soups are definitely a go to for me this time of year, and anything made in the slow cooker makes it that much easier. Beef barley soup has always been one of my favorites. I absolutely love the thick rich flavor paired with the super tender beef and vegetables!
How To Make Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup
As I stated, this recipe simply can’t get any easier! You’ll want to gather your ingredients ahead of time. Brown your beef cubes before adding them to the slow cooker. While this step is not required, I always recommend it as it will ensure a rich flavor to the finished recipe. After you’ve browned your beef cubes add them to your slow cooker with the remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
What Is The Best Beef For Beef Barley Soup?
While you can use any leftover beef such as pot roast, or steak, if you’re purchasing beef for this recipe keep in mind that this is one of the times you can go with a tough cut of beef. I use a beef chuck roast as the cooking time will lend to incredibly tender and flavorful pieces of meat that you can cut through with just your spoon!
Tips For Making Beef Barley Soup:
- Use an inexpensive and more tough cut of beef. You can purchase stew meat, or a beef chuck roast and cut it yourself. The low and slow cooking time will yield a super tender and delicious flavor.
- Brown your beef cubes before adding them to the slow cooker. While not required, this easy step will add much more flavor to your soup.
- Cut your vegetables on a larger side so that they don’t cook away to nothing in the slow cooker
Can You Freeze Beef Barley Soup?
Beef barley soup is the perfect candidate for freezing and meal prep! You can follow the instructions through the slow cooker process, then allow to cool completely before freezing, or you can prep everything and place it in a freezer safe bag and lay flat for faster thaw time. Allow to thaw completely then complete the cooking process in your slow cooker. Beef barley soup will keep it’s best flavor for 4-6 months when properly stored in the freezer.
More Hearty Soup Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Homemade Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon beef base
- 6 cups beef broth or stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine optional but recommended
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- Sprinkle beef pieces with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef cubes and brown for 1-2 minuter per side.
- Add the beef and all remaining ingredients to a 6 quart slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours, or high 4-5 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve.