Absolutely the best and easiest Apple Crisp you’ll ever make! The perfect combination of apples and topping come together for this simply amazing and cozy dessert!
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
When it comes to desserts, something with apples will always be on the top of my list! They’re so versitile and the flavors are perfect with so many other things!
Today I bring you the best and easiest apple crisp you’ll ever make – seriously! It’s a true classic! This is one of my go to recipes when I need a quick dessert, and I’ll make it all year long. You’ll love the oats added for the topping, as they give that crispy crunch with the super soft baked apples and cinnamon!
Eat it by itself or with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream with some caramel sauce! If you have leftovers this will also make a great treat for breakfast as well.
What kind of apples do I use for an Apple Crisp?
Honestly, you can use any apples you like! While different varieties will have a slightly differnt taste with sweetness and tart, any of them will work. I almost always use Granny Smith apples (which is what I also use in my apple pie), because I love that tartness. You might also want to try Golden Delicious or Honeycrisp. Whatever you choose, just be sure they’re firm and crisp!
How do I make an Apple Crisp?
I start by peeling my apples. This step is completely up to you, as some prefer not to have the apple peels and others don’t mind them. Next you’ll want to chop them into bite size pieces, just keep the sizes of each piece as consistent as possible so they’ll all bake the same.
Next you’ll want to mix together your sugar, flour, and ground cinnamon in a large bowl. When it’s mixed all together add the apple pieces and toss them around until they’re fully coated. Turn all of the mixture and apples out into an 8×8 baking dish.
Now it’s time to make the topping (my favorite!). In a medium bowl combine the oats, remaining flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and melted butter. Mix well and crumble over your apple mixture, then bake!
If you love this Apple Crisp, you may consider these delicious apple desserts:
- Instant Pot Baked Apples
- Apple Dump Cake with Fresh Apples
- Apple Bread Recipe
- Caramel Apple Empanadas
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
- 6 Granny Smith apples peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buter melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees. Spray your 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Peel and chop your apples. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, 1 tablespoon of flour, and ground cinnamon. Add the apples and toss until they're fully coated. Pour into an 8x8 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, quick cooking oats, 1 cup of flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix together then pour in the melted butter. Mixing until everything is combined evenly. Sprinkle over the top of the apple mixture to fully and evenly cover the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and you can see it start to bubble.
- Serve warm on its own or with vanilla bean ice cream. Enjoy!