Soft and fudgy brownies with a creamy coconut filling and chocolate topping is every chocolate lovers dream!
If you’re a fan of the ever popular Mounds candy bar, then you’ll love this recreation of a candy bar in brownie form! I love how easy the homemade brownies are to make, and even more, how fudgy and chocolately they are. I hope you’re also a fan of coconut, because you’ll find plenty of it sandwiched between the brownie layer and chocolate layer.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR MOUNDS BAR BROWNIES?
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Butter – you want the real stuff, not margarine!
- Sweetened shredded coconut flakes
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Making these brownies from scratch adds so much to this recipe. They’re simply the most fudgy brownies I’ve ever had. They are rich, so you’ll want to grab a glass of milk as well!
Combining the coconut and condensed milk creates a creamy coconut layer that adds that “Mounds Bar” touch, and the chocolate topping just adds even more sweetness.
A very important step when making this recipe is lining your pan with aluminum foil. This is a step you don’t want to miss, otherwise it will be impossible to remove them fron the pan once they’re done! Be sure to tuck the foil nice and tight in the corners of your baking pan carefully to avoid rips. Allow the edges of the foil to flow over the top of the sides so that you can simply lift them out when ready to be cut.
You’ll want to allow the recipe to set for 3-4 hours, or overnight so that the chocolate topping has plenty of time to set. Cutting them is a bit messy, however it’ll be much tougher if the chocolate hasn’t hardened. Remember that the longer you allow the chocolate to cool and set the easier it will be to slice them. I do this with a super sharp chefs knife and with quick wipe after each cut or two.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 12 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 8x8 baking pan with aluminum foil, allowing the sides of the foil to form an overhang over the side of the pan, then spray with cooking oil. Do not skip this step as the brownies will be impossible to get out.
- Combine flour and cocoa in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Gradually add flour mixture and mix well until well blended. Spread evenly into your prepared 8x8 baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 30-33 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted through the center comes out clean.
- While the brownies are baking, in a medium bowl (can be the same bowl from mixing the flour and cocoa. Just wipe it clean.) combine the sweetened shredded coconut flakes and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until combined and set aside.
- When done remove brownies from the oven and evenly smooth out the coconut mixture on top. Gently press the mixture into each corner.
- Evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips on top the coconut mixture.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and gently smooth out the chocolate chips. They should be softened enough to easily spread.
- Set the pan aside and allow to cool for 2-3 hours, or until the chocolate layer has firmly set. This step can also be done overnight as well.
- After chocolate layer has fully set lift brownies from pan using the foil overhang and place on a cutting board. With a sharp knife slice the brownies. Enjoy!