Ditch the store bought spaghetti sauce for this simple homemade version. Using pantry ingredients you’ll create a family favorite sauce that so incredibly versatile!
I have an amazing Homemade Spaghetti Sauce right here for you, and after you’ve made this super easy sauce you’ll never buy from a store again! I’m sure from as young as you can remember spaghetti might have been a staple meal in your home. It’s so easy to make, and you can whip it up in no time on a busy weeknight. Now what if I told you that you can create a homemade sauce of your own that tastes even better, and you still don’t have to sacrifice much of your time? Sounds great, right?
Not only is this sauce perfect over pasta for spaghetti night, but we use it for Baked Spaghetti, lasagna, or even stuffed shells! It’s so versatile and that’s one of the very things I love about it.
How Do You Make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce?
You’ll first want to brown your ground beef, onion, and garlic. Drain any excess grease then add the Italian seasoning, sugar, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and we like to use a bit of Better Than Bouillon beef base to give this sauce a nice richness. Allow the sauce to start to boil then add water. Give it a good stir and allow to simmer for 30 minutes to blend all the flavors together.
Why Put Sugar in Spaghetti Sauce?
Adding just a bit of sugar will help cut the acidity in the tomatoes, or tomato sauce and help create a more balanced sauce overall. Adding a bit of sugar will also help to enhance the natural sweetness of the tomatoes.
Can You Freeze Homemade Spaghetti Sauce?
Making this Homemade Spaghetti Sauce is perfect for a meal prep idea! It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, however if you want to freeze it just let it cool completely after cooking. Put it in freezer safe containers and it will last approximately 4-6 months in the freezer. To thaw, simply remove the containers from the freezer and put in the refrigerator overnight. You can also use the gallon size freezer bags. Fill each bag with your sauce that’s been cooled down and lay flat then seal. This will also speed up the process of thawing the sauce.
What If I Like My Sauce Less Meaty?
You can definitely adjust the amount of ground beef you put in this sauce. There’s no need to adjust anything else in the recipe except for the meat. However, if you want a more chunky sauce you can add some fresh mushrooms, green peppers, or even a can of peeled and diced tomatoes.
What Goes Great With This Homemade Spaghetti Sauce?
- Cheesy Garlic Bread – our favorite homemade garlic bread that goes great with any tomato sauce recipe
- Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs – make a double batch of the sauce and create an entirely new dinner option
- Easy Stuffed Shells – delicious shells stuffed with a creamy cheese filling
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 30 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon beef base
- 1 cup hot water
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onion, and garlic. Break up ground beef as it's browning and let brown completely. Drain any excess grease.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and pepper, and beef base. Bring to a boil.
- While the sauce is coming to a boil microwave 1 cup of hot water for 2-3 minutes, then add the hot water to the sauce. Stir well then reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, or this sauce is great with Lasagna, Spaghetti Pie, or Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs!