Loaded with Italian meats and cheese, this easy homemade stromboli is perfect for a quick weekday dinner option!
We all have those crazy weekdays and by the time everyone realizes it’s time for dinner you’re left with no ideas of what to make. Not only is this stromboli recipe so easy and ready in just 30 minutes, but the whole family will be happy with just the smell of “pizza” coming from the oven.
I guarantee this will be a recipe you’ll add to your rotation and wonder why you haven’t made this sooner. Even better, there are so many variations of fillings for a stromboli, that your family won’t mind having this on the dinner table weekly.
What Is Stromboli?
Stromboli is a type of “pizza” turnover that’s filled with Italian meats and cheese and made with Italian bread or pizza dough. A stromboli is very similar to a calzone, but the main difference is size and shape. A calzone is a circular shape “pizza” folded over, while a stromboli will be rolled up to a log then baked.
How To Make A Stromboli:
Roll out the pizza dough to an even rectangle. Spread with pizza suace then top with meats and cheese. Roll up to form a log. Brush with a beaten egg then top with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese and bake!
What Can You Use For Fillings For Stromboli?
Filling ingredients are endless! A typical stromboli will have Italian meats and cheese, however you can creat any filling you’d like. Try sausage and a chese of your choice, broccoli and cheddar for a vegetarian option, or you can even make a yummy dessert by filling the bread or dough with chopped chocolate or chocolate chips and drizzle with melted chocolate after it bakes. Here are some more options:
- Chicken Cordon Bleu – deli ham, swiss cheese, and alfredo sauce make a great combination!
- Fill with leftover taco seasoning and cheese, then top with lettuce, tomato, etc. after baking!
- Turkey and Broccoli – this is a great idea when you have leftover turkey, combine with broccoli and cheddar cheese.
More Pizza Ideas That You’ll Love
Easy Homemade Stromboli
- 1 can Pillsbury thin crust refrigeratred pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 15 slices Italian salami
- 20 slices deli pepperoni
- 1 cup Mozzerella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll the pizza dought out onto a piece of parchment paper and stretch it out a bit to form a rectangle with even thickness.
- Spread the pizza sauce onto the dough, leaving about a 2 inch gap from each side. Top the pizza sauce with Italian salami and pepperoni, then sprinkle the cheese on the meat.
- Fold each of the short ends up toward the meat/cheese mixture about 2 inches. Starting with the longer sides (like rolling up cinnamon rolls) start rolling up the dough. Pinch ends together if needed.
- Place the stromboli seam side down on your baking sheet. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes unitl golden brown. Let set about 5-10 minutes then slice.