This creamy rich and cheesy one pot meal is done in under 30 minutes. Perfect for a busy weeknight meal that the whole family will enjoy!
Did you grow up eating Hamburger Helper? Turthfully my mom never made it when I was younger. I know that I had eaten it, possibly at a friends house, and I loved it! When I became a parent I know without a doubt that I did make it at least a few different times, and my kids also enjoyed it. I’m now well into adulthood and those childhood culinary cravings still sneek up on me every so often. I also have much more experience in the kitchen and the boxed stuff just doesn’t do it for me. Especially when I know that I can create something better myself, and share it with you!
This quick and easy dinner for the family is also made in one pot – is there anything better than that? It takes no time at all and easy clean up. I don’t know about you but that alone makes me happy! Chances are you probably already have all (or most) or these ingredients on hand already. If you do have to make a grocery list, you’ll find this recipe is very budget friendly.
How To Make Homemade Hamburger Helper
Everything will cook in one pot, skillet, or dutch oven. Brown your ground beef until it’s no longer pink. Drain all excess grease from the cooked ground beef and skillet. Add your minced onion to the skillet to cook for just a few minutes.
You’ll now add the ground beef back to your skillet along with all the spices that gives this dish an absolutely amazing flavor. Once the spices are mixed in with the ground beef go ahead and add the macaroni, beef broth, and milk. Water can be substituted for the milk if you’d like. Cover and allow to simmer until the macaroni has cooked through. Once the pasta has cooked you can turn the heat off and add the shredded cheese. Give it a good stir until completely melted.
Why Use Freshly Grated Cheese
I recommend using freshly grated cheese in this recipe. While pre-grated cheese does offer a convenience, and can certainly be used for other recipes, you’ll find the texture of grating your own cheese to be much more smooth and creamy. The pre-grated cheese you purchase in the store will have additives to prevent it from clumping together when packaged. These additives also affect the smoothness and melting process.
MORE ONE POT MEALS YOU’LL ENJOY:
Creamy Cheeseburger Macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped or minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese freshly grated
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks. Drain excess grease, then set aside.
- In the same skillet add the onion and cook while stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the ground beef back to the skillet with the cooked onion. Sprinkle the corn starch, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and salt & pepper over top the beef mixture, then stir until everything is mixed throughly.
- Pour the beef broth and milk into the beef mixture then add the dry macaroni and give it a good stir and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil cover with a lid and reduce the heat. Allow to simmer for 9-11 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked just about al dente.
- Add the grated cheese to the skillet and stir until melted, and a sauce begins to form. Remove from heat and let stand for 3-4 minutes as the sauce thickens, then serve.