A classic banana bread with a delicious sweet crumb topping. All the flavors you love in one simple quick and easy recipe!
Who doesn’t love a great banana bread? Take those ugly overripe banana and turn them into something simply amazing! This recipe does just that, however we’ve kicked it up a notch by adding a sweet cinnamon crumb topping that everyone will love. This recipe is sure to become your new favorite snack!
How To Make The Best Banana Bread
You want a banana bread that’s just sweet enough. For this you’ll want to be sure you’re using very overripe bananas. Not only are they easier to mash, but they’ll offer more sweetness and moisture for your bread. Don’t be afraid to use those very ugly almost black bananas. They’re going to offer so much incredible sweetness and flavor!
Less is more – don’t overmix! Overmixing can result in a tough texture for your bread. Simple mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until moist. It’s ok if you see some clumps in the mixture.
Can You Freeze Banana Bread?
Yes! Let your bread cool completely after baking. Wrapping it while it’s still warm or hot will cause condensation and it will become soggy. Once cooled completely wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then again in aluminum foil. The bread will stay fresh for 2-4 months. To thaw, remove from freezer and let sit on your counter covered until it comes to room temperature.
How Do I Ripen Bananas Quickly for Banana Bread?
If you’ve got the urge for banana bread sooner rather than later and don’t have overripe bananas, or cannot find them at the store, you can ripen them at home. Simply lay them on a baking sheet and put them into a 300 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until the banana skin turns black or very dark. Allow them to cool then scoop out the banana and then follow recipe instructions.
More quick bread recipes you’ll love:
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 9x5 loaf pan. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl whisk together melted butter, egg, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Carefully fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients just until combined. It's ok if there are some lumps. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl combine cinnamon, flour, brown sugar, and butter. With a pastry cutter cut the butter and mix until the result is coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the banana bread mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to set for 10 minutes then carefully move to a wire rack. Slice and enjoy!
- You can also drizzle with a glaze made of 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2-3 teaspoons milk. Mix together to the consistency you desire and drizzle over the top.